Carbon Monoxide or CO is a highly poisonous gas that is created when carbon based fuels aren’t burnt completely. These fuels can include gas, oil, coal and wood and since the gas is odourless, colourless and even tasteless it is very hard to detect. For this reason is is often referred to as the ‘Silent Killer’. Though the fuels are safe to use when burnt correctly, it is only on the occasion when the fuel isn’t burnt completely that the Carbon Monoxide is produced.
Once inhaled, CO restricts oxygen passage to the cells, organs and tissues of the body by preventing the blood from carrying it to these vital areas.